There was a large house fire this morning in Beaumont (corner of Emma and Neches, right off MLK). Four Beaumont firefighters were injured, at least one seriously, who was flown to Galveston. Robby called me and let me know Gary was NOT any of these men.
Even though he only works (at the FD) one day out of 3, I have a calendar that tells me when he's at a station (but doesn't tell me which station he's at) on which day, so according to the calendar he's on duty today. He's been working at the No. 1 station (downtown) and a Southend station. The corner of Emma and Neches is right between downtown and the Southend... so we weren't sure. But Robby called me and told me he got word that Gary is NOT one of the firefighters hurt.
I couldn't get a hold of Megan on the phone, she sleeps late, especially on Mondays and the kids nearly always accomodate her. I did leave her a message though.
All I can say is to please keep the injured firefighters, and their families, in your prayers this holiday season.
I can see now that I need to make an emergency plan to cover this. When Robby first called and told me about the fire, but at that time didn't know if it was Gary or not, I could see my emergency plans were lacking because I thought, "ok, who can keep the kids and are they approved by CPS to keep the kids." You know me, my peace of mind comes from having "a plan" so I'm going to have to get with Megan and we'll have to come up with an emergency plan.
Update: http://www.kfdm.com/news/fire_23929___article.html/house_injured.html
2 comments:
I'm so glad Gary is OK. Will keep the firefighters in my prayers. We are entering the "busy season" for firefighters and should keep all firefighters in our prayers during the winter months. They risk so much and save so many.
This happened at a very interesting time for the city. The city of Beaumont, who has been known to be a Scrooge in the off season(not the holidays)is in negotiations with the firefighters for their contract. A contract that *should* have been resolved long ago.
http://www.kfdm.com/news/firefighters_23907___article.html/city_sides.html
Let me just say that Kyle Hayes (our city manager)was pooing in is pants this morning when he heard about the injured firefighters because he not only believes they aren't worth their pay raise, he has begun to play dirty (IMO) in the negotiations. There are alot of issues with the contract negotiations, but the city and their stance on "greedy firefighters" is looking REALLY bad right now.
Post a Comment