Books open you up to different points of view, and new worlds present themselves through reading. ~Jeff Kinney~

10.17.2009

Another HIQF in the can...

...well, it is for me at least. It's going on today and tomorrow, but I'm done.


Had a great time. Went with my firend, Joanie. This was her first time there and she was definitely WOW'd by the experience. Not as glassey-eyed as I was the first time I went, but definitely WOW'd.

Preview night, Wednesday night, we looked at the quilt exhibits and I took A LOT of pictures. There didn't seem to be as many quilts this year. I definately saw more floor space, but then I don't think there were as many people walking around on preview night either.

At this point I have to say that the evening was marred by one minor event. An ex-friend of mine, who I was pretty sure would be there, repeatedly walked across my path in front of me to let me know SHE was there (I suppose). Or maybe she was hoping I was going to say/do something. I don't know. The second time it happened Joanie asked me if she was going to keep doing that. :-0

When I got home and told the spouse about it he said, "Aren't her childish/immature antics the main reason you are no longer friends with her?" Well, he hit that nail on the head.

Friday was full of shopping and good friends. Last year I went by myself. I met some people and talked with a lot more people than I ever had before. But this year it was even MORE social. We met 2 women from Australia who had a 31 hour flight just to get to Houston and the festival. They said they'll be back next year and we promised to look each other up.

One of our guild members had a booth there, The Quilter's Studio had booth #'s 1932 & 1934. We met up with her and other guild members, talked and laught for the longest time.

Joanie and I had lunch with 3 ladies from New Mexico. They've been all over the U.S. to the big quilt festivals, but they like Houston's the best. Kind of makes me really want to travel to other festivals (Chicago, California, Paducah) to compare them myself.

After lunch we really mixed things up and started at the other end of the shopping and headed back towards where we had left off in the middle. That worked out really well and I really enjoyed the flexiability of Joanie's attitude towards this event. I've only done it one way in the past, the same way, every time. This way was much more enjoyable.

I came home, NOT BROKE. Ok, I did just have change in my pocket... $8.79 to be exact. But I never touched the credit or debit cards. It's not that I wasn't tempted by things, I just stayed within my means better this year.

I bought quilted Christmas ornaments. A fabric Chateliane kit for my quilting tools from Painted Pony. I bought some pins (pins that you wear, not pins that you pin fabric with). Some small kits. Some books. $100 worth of thread from Superior Threads (I just LOVE their thread). At the very end of the day I was leaning up against the wall talking to the Spouse on my cell phone and told him I "ONLY" spent $100 on thread, there were two cops near by laughing at me for "ONLY" spending $100 on thread. LOL Spending $100 on thread sounded like the craziest thing they's ever heard.

Let's see I got more of my favorite applique neeldles. Nifty, new style, Clover thimble. I LOVE thimbles. And yes, I do use them.

One more thing I bought at the Alzheimer's booth was another mini quilt from them. Quilter's all over the U.S. donate mini quilts to the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative this non-profit organization sells the quilts and the money goes to Alzheimer's research. Everything is done by volunteer's and 100% of the donation goes to Alzheimer's research. I bought a mini quilt two years ago. Can't really remember why I didn't get one last year. But I got another one this year.

I was very much attracted to shinny baubles this year. I bought a nice, sparkly, pair of (oddly enough when I got home, not too gaudy) earrings. They were more than I ususally spend on earrings at an event like this, but not extravagant.

Joanie and I stopped at Tortuga's in Baytown on our way home and ate Mexican food. Capped off a perfect day.

I was BEAT last night. Fell right to sleep. Feel really good today and am about to be out of the house to go help Megan unpack in her new house. The kids rooms are done, but her kitchen, living room and dining room need to be set up. Maybe I'll take pictures and let everyone know how nice it looks.

No comments: