Books open you up to different points of view, and new worlds present themselves through reading. ~Jeff Kinney~

5.27.2006

Heck of a wreck

So there I was at the Folsom/Dowlen intersection. A truck turns the corner and it looked like Megan's truck. It passed me and lo and behold it was Megan. I honked. A few seconds later my phone rang and it was Megan, she said was that you I just passed? I said yep and we laughed a little bit over the concidence and we hung up.

The light turned green and I went across the intersection to the post office drive through to mail something for Quilting Cousins. I pulled out of the post office parking lot, across two lanes of traffic, being very careful to look to my left and make sure no one was coming before crossing, pulled into the turn lane in the middle of the traffice lane and looked right to make sure no one was coming. I had to wait for two vehicles to pass before it was safe to cross. No problem.

I pulled into the Kroger parking lot (Beaumont's new Kroger if you're familiar with Beaumont). I was headed to Kroger to get a few things for the weekend as I hadn't been to the grocery store in a coons age.

Then it hit me. No, really then it HIT me. I never saw the woman, but she hit my car broadside on the passenger's side of my car. I heard a noise, then saw glass flying all around me. I felt weird, like I really wasn't there. The next thing I clearly remember was an EMT talking to me and asking me questions, like did I know what day it was and what the date was. I told him I may not have known the date before the wreck and I didn't remember it then, but it was definitely Friday.

At that point I called Robby to tell him I had been in a wreck. The thing was I had already called him to tell him I was in a wreck. I didn't remember making the first call. I did remember a woman telling me to stay in the car til the fire department got there, but I couldn't see her. I only vaguely remember her voice. And I kept hearing this woman screaming and crying, but I couldn't tell where it was coming from. Initially I was afraid I had run over some one. The screaming and crying lead me to believe things were worse than they really were.

By the time Robby was there I was pretty clear on what was going on. I had not hit anyone. Another car (actually a full size van) hit me. I had the right of way in the driveway of Kroger and a woman in a van was to my right. She actually had a stop sign, but ran it and hit me hard. Pushed my little mustang up against the opposite curb in the driveway.



I ended up going to the ER, Robby drove me. I have a bruised left knee, scraped right foot, my left shoulder hurts, my neck hurts, my check is sore where the seat belt went across my body. Last night I had a really bad headache.

I had head and neck x-rays and a CT scan and they gave me a shot for the pain before I left the hospital. The GUY that did my CT scan was the GUY at the scene (not a woman) who had told me to stay in the car. On top of that he said I was in and out of conscienceness and I had asked him if "we were there yet," but I didn't remember any of that.

I'm pretty sore today and have been sleeping off and on all day. Will probably do the same tomorrow (Sunday).

My car? I don't know what is going to happen to it. Robby is saying it can be fixed. But he may be saying that to keep me from being upset even more.

The lady that hit me was driving her mother's van and was excluded on her insurance from driving it, but apparently the mother let her drive it anyway. So their insurance is saying they won't pay.

The lady driving also said she stopped at the stop sign. Um, apparently not, from how far I skidded sideways. So, the arguement is on. I guess we'll be looking for a good lawyer...

The bottom line is, I'm ok, I'm sore and will be for a few days, but I'm ok.

2 comments:

Abejarron Caotico said...

This why I hate going into that parking lot from that direction... people are constantly running right through the stops!

The picture of the Mustang looks bad, and I admit telling you it'll be okay just to keep you calm does sound like something Daddy would do. But even if it can't be fixed, it can be replaced. The point is that YOU are okay. YOU can't be replaced.

Anonymous said...

OMG!! From what you're describing, it sounds like a head injury. I hope you're going to be OK. We went to Bmt to see Mom yesterday (Saturday) and I thought about calling you, but it was a busy visit and I didn't have time while we were there. (and the cell phone is still on the fritz) Now I wished I had. Oh, God. It just sounds so scary. I'll call later today.