Books open you up to different points of view, and new worlds present themselves through reading. ~Jeff Kinney~

7.31.2007

Back from quilting retreat

Last Thursday I went on a 4 day quilting retreat with my guild (GTQG: http://www.gt-qg.com/) at the St. Charles Catholic Retreat Center in Westlake, La.

I really didn't know what to expect from the retreat center itself or from the guild, but it turned out to be just awesome.

The retreat center fed us the most amazing food, gumbo, fried fish, meatloaf, ham and everything to go with each of these, lots of vegetables and there was a fresh salad with every meal. Breakfast was always great too, scrambled eggs, grits, bacon or sausage, toast or biscuits, orange juice and coffee.

There was no schedule for the retreat other than breakfast was at 8am, lunch was at 12pm and supper was at 6pm. We'd just be sewing and working along and they'd announce the meal was ready, we'd stop what we were doing and go eat and then go back to what we were doing.

The rooms were sparse, but very, very clean. Didn't spend a lot of waking time in them, as we sewed A LOT. Some nights well into the night. Joanie, my room mate stayed up until 3 am one night (I had pooped out around midnight).

The best part was I got to really get to know a lot of my guild mates. I knew them from meetings and such, but on a retreat you REALLY get to know them, everyone lets their hair down so to speak and they have the most amazing personalities and senses of humor.

Oh and I got a lot of my quilt projects under control, not so much finished per se, but I'm a lot farther along on them than if I'd stayed home.

Can't wait to go again.

No comments: