Books open you up to different points of view, and new worlds present themselves through reading. ~Jeff Kinney~

7.30.2008

I'm Back (again)

Last Thursday I went to a 4 day quilt reatreat in Moss Bluff Lousiana. There is a very nice Catholic Retreat center there.

Anyway, This year I actually finished quilt tops while I was there. Last year I was a newbie and an underacheiver to boot. I think I was just so excited to be there I got almost nothing done. That wasn't the case this year.



This is called Autumn Ridge. I made the blocks at home before I left and put it together at retreat.


This pattern is called Strip Cocktail and I used the Dandelion Girl fabric collection by Moda.

While I was at the retreat I came across a book at Quilts Bayou called Paper Pieced Mini Quilts by Wendy Vosters. I've never been a very good paper piecer, but this book looked like it could help me, so I bought it. I'm determined to turn out small (24" x 24" or less) quilts for the guild faster. Well this is the book. I've only done two of the mini quilts and here is the pic of my first attempt.


I used left over fabric from the Dandelion Girl collection that I did the Strip Cocktail quilt from. It took me about three hours to do this. Now, it's only the top, I still need to quilt and bind it, but I could do one of these little guys in a day easily. I'm so excited. I also discovered that Carol Doak is the Paper Piecing Queen. I went to her web site and found a couple of PP mini quilt patterns for free. I''m pretty sure I'm going to be making a lot more of these.

Bright and early Monday morning I had jury duty. But to my amazement our county has streamlined the process and now we only have to go up there once, unless you actully have to go back to sreve on a jury. They called 2000 of us for 4 panels, I was cut loose in an hour. No more going back day after day just to see "IF" they need you. YIIIIIPPPPPEEEEE!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I didn't comment when I first read this. Duh! The quilts are gorgeous. I especially like Autumn Ridge. :-)