Books open you up to different points of view, and new worlds present themselves through reading. ~Jeff Kinney~

8.04.2008

"That thing in the Gulf..."

now has a name, and it's Edouard. We've been aware of it for a few days... ok, those of us who watch the news and weather have been aware of it for a few days. Some of the rest of them were caught completely off guard and are surprised to find that there is something in the Gulf.

Oh well. That's what you get for living on the Gulf Coast of Texas and not watching the news or weather during hurricane season.

Our household (that pretty much extends to Kelly and David and Megan and Gary) are as ready for it as we're going to get. If the lights go out Megan and the kids will come over to our house, mostly because we have a generator, not one that will run the A/C but it will keep the refrigerator and some fans running. If the lights go out I don't think they will be out long. As far as I've heard we aren't supposed to get so much wind from Edouard as we are rain. We need the rain. It is a particularly hot and dry summer this year. Hot as in it was 100 degrees here in Beaumont Sunday. So we could use the water, and it will cool us off for a day or so.

So how hot is it here? Megan can't sleep and I'm not eating much. It doesn't take much to over heat either one of us and we are quite miserable. Little Robert is cranky because he really wants to go out and play, but the only times of the day it would be cool enough for him to go out and play the mosquitoes would carry him away.

I'll post again as I know something. Most of it depends on how long we do or don't have electricity.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eduord has been a flop here. All we're getting is mild rain. The news/weathercasters here are visibly disappointed. LOL! Lots of stuff shut down in anticipation of a big storm, so we're both home today, reading books and enjoying the rain. :-) I hope you didn't get any more out of Eduord than we did. Drop a comment and let us know if you haven't floated away or lost power.

Marylou said...

It was pretty much a dud here too. Though our lights did go out for about 6-7 hours, they are back on now obviously.

Minimal amounts of rain and little wind. NO ONE is disappointed here.

Did you get a an e-mail from "hurricanemamie?" That's my e-mail addy for my cell phone. I pretty much plan on only using it in an emergency (like a hurricane), when we have no electricity.

Anonymous said...

No, I didn't get a "hurricanemamie" e-mail. It probably went into the spam filter and got automatically deleted. :-( Since it looks like we're about to have another "thing in the Gulf", send another test message and I'll look for it and de-spam it.