Books open you up to different points of view, and new worlds present themselves through reading. ~Jeff Kinney~

9.08.2008

Take a hike Ike

Please, no one else call or e-mail me to tell me there is another hurricane out there. I know. I am taking it seriously. But I haven't even been home from the last evacuation for a whole week yet. I have NO plans to go anywhere.

I can't believe that anyone can predict with enough certainty (at this point) to think about evacuating our county again so soon. And yes, emergency management is in meetings over this.

I TOTALLY understand that it takes X number of hours to get everyone out of the county and they have to start planning WELL ahead of time to get that accomplished. But here's MY prediction: The more often they evacuate us with not so much as a near miss (Gustav), the fewer people that will evacuate each time they call for one.

I'm not saying I won't leave this time. But I'm not leaving until I feel like there is reason to. At this point Ike isn't even in the Gulf of Mexico and I refuse to plan to evacuate.

I'll let everyone know my plans if/when they change.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! My comment on the previous post was done with a grin and a wink (and I hadn't see this post then). I agree it's a little early to plan to evac for Ike. We're not---until it becomes clear that we need to. As I see it, people need to just go on with their lives, make weekend plans, etc. Cancel them if/when an evac is called for. Hurricane *planning* (by individuals) is done way ahead of the storm---like when hurricane season starts. Hurricane *packing* and *prep* is only done after you know if the storm is likely to hit you, which is a couple of days before landfall. No point in doing anything until you know you're gonna evac. :-)