Books open you up to different points of view, and new worlds present themselves through reading. ~Jeff Kinney~

1.21.2009

Kettlebells

...not to be confused with church bells, hand bells, jingle bells, etc. Kettlebells are a Russian weightlifting system that is a low impact, total body workout incorporating natural momentum from swinging the bells. It's interesting.

The spouse told me Sunday that he wanted to go to Academy to look at them (they were a featured item, not an on sale item, in the newspaper add). So we did and got the 10lb. Kettlebell. Probably a little lilght for him, but by that time they were our of the 15lb. Kettlebells. The 10 lb. Kettlebell is just right for me. I've done the workout 3 times now and gotten increasingly sore (muscles) each time. I've probably over done it a bit, but hey, no pain, no gain.

Ordinarily I'm the worlds biggest couch potato, but the workout with these is short, actually as short or as long as you want it (or can stand it), but so far mine has been about 5 minutes (and yes, I get sore muscles from a 5 minutes workout) at a time. It's not just lifting weights, there is cardio involved, but not jumping around acting a fool.

I'm interested to see if I can loose weight with these short bursts of activity.

4 comments:

Mattexian said...

From everything I've read about kettlebells, they're a good workout. It's funny tho, the weight sets mostly available in the US are considered "women's", the "men's" weights begin with about 50lbs being the lightest kettlebell! I've seen a book at B&N about the workout, and lots of folks have videos on YouTube (mainly showing off).

Marylou said...

We bought one, 10 lb. weight, we didn't get a set.

Let me just say that any woman who can swing a, say, 40 lb. Kettlebell... I don't want to run into her in a LIGHTED alley... I don't want to run into her in my quilt guild, or in church or just anywhere at all. I'm thinking IF I make it to a 25 lb. Kettlebell, I'll be doing GREAT. :-)

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'm not visualizing how you do it, but it seems like the handle would put more strain on the wrists than regular weights. That cannonball shape makes them really look heavy. I bet they'd be great training for the shot put. ;-)

Marylou said...

You're probably not visualizing it right. My wrists were one of the few things that didn't hurt. LOL
They're as heavy as the weight they are... 10lbs, is 10lbs. And you're not lifting it up to throw it.

Check out: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=kettlebells+exercises+women&aq=f