Books open you up to different points of view, and new worlds present themselves through reading. ~Jeff Kinney~

2.01.2009

I had such hopes for 2009, and in all fairness if January is any indication, it's not like 2008... it's WORSE.

It's just been a crappy January. Usually my January (and well into Feb, until the worst of the cold weather is over) is spent hibernating. But not this year, I've had to hit the ground running, just to keep up with life. The worst of which I can't really talk about in this blog, but it concerns the possible adoption of the grand-kids. I hope to be able to post more on this after tomorrow.

The things that are keeping me sane are my quilting:

I started a great BOM, it's a Baltimore Album style Halloween themed wallhanging: http://www.p3designs.com/ It's awesome, I just love it. I just got the first block about a week ago and am working on it. There are 11 more 10" blocks in the series, with the last one being a 20" x 20" block (center of the design). I can't possibly finish it before spring of 2010. It's a huge commitment in time, but I just love the thing SO MUCH!

And books:

The other thing that is keeping my sanity in check is the Benni Harper series of quilting mysteries by Earlene Fowler. I've known they were out there for some years, but just never got "into" them. I got the first one, Fool's Puzzle as a Christmas gift and was hooked. They really speak to me. Benni is a very likeable character, she's flawed, but has a huge heart. Her new husband, Gabe, is HOT! He is also the new police chief in the small (fictional) town they live in on the Central Coast of California. So I get my dose of the quilting thing, the mystery thing, the romance thing (I told you, Gabe is HOT!!), AND a bit of the police thing all mixed together.

Earlene Fowler has recently written 2 other books (sans Benni Harper), I've got one of them, but haven't read it yet. There are currently 14 Benni Harper books out and Earlene is working on the 15th, to come out in the spring of 2010. I'm trying to pace myself reading the Benni Harper series (I just finished the 5th one, Dove in the Window) as I want this to last until the time changes, I don't read as much during daylight savings time.

I am really addicted to these characters and their lives. Earlene Fowler's books get better and better with each one she writes. I see her characters growing and changing, but that is kind of the base theme of the whole series, how we grow as our lives change. I think it's this theme (not to mention how HOT!! Gabe is) that speaks to me right now at this stage of my life.

Here's hoping February is a better month...

No comments: