Books open you up to different points of view, and new worlds present themselves through reading. ~Jeff Kinney~

5.31.2009

Did Walt Whitman make chocolate candy?

At first this add made me laugh, but then when I really *got into it* it was really sad:

http://www.americansforthearts.org/public_awareness/pdf/the_ads/whitman/Walt_7x10_4c_Local.pdf

I was in Wally World yesterday and picked up the August issue (I kid you not, the AUGUST issue, it's not June yet) of American Patchwork and Quilting. As I was in the clogged checkout line I started looking deeper into it than just the patterns and found this add.

At first I found it hilarious because, well, do people actually think this? Apparently so. Then, it hit me that people *actually* think this. That's just sad, just sad.

2 comments:

Mattexian said...

But do those same kids also think that Walt Whitman and Walt Disney were brothers? I'm impressed that they would at least recognize the name Walt Whitman in a lineup, even if they couldn't tell you what he did to become famous.

Marylou said...

It's a name kicked around in middle school English classes, but I don't think they have time to delve into who he really was. Some things kids need to learn out of the classroom and I think this is what this add was leaning towards. And art classes in school are about doing and not learning who people are/were.