This past Tuesday my Bee-mates and I got together, had a great lunch at the Spindletop on Crockett Street (I had an excellent Ceasar Salad and then cajun bread pudding for dessert), then we walked over to CPS (thats right, Child Protective Services. As some of you know, it was through CPS that I became a grandmother) and donated 17 baby quilts that we had made in the previous year to the Rainbow Room.
My origianl goal was 12 quilts in a year. I figured the 10 of us could come up with that and it not severly interrupt anyones regular quilting. I was so glad that we got 17 quilts in the year's time.
The Rainbow Room serves the Jefferson County CPS staff. If a case worker sees a need in one of their case homes for an item they see if it is avaliable in the Rainbow Room or funds for the Rainbow Room. For instance the Rainbow Room coordinator gave us the example of a case worker who took a 5 year old child to a Dollar Store and bought her 2 - $5 outfits. Absolutely nothing extravagant. The 5 year old was totally delighted because she had only had and-me-down clothes to that point, things that really didn't fit, all her life. She finally felt like something was "hers".
It was amazing to hear what all the Rainbow Room has and does and how much it costs. The staff there was extremely excited to have handmade items, like our baby quilts. Some of them were appropriate for toddlers as well. And they don't give them out to families that won't take care of them or appreciate them. They go to good homes to comfort kids.
Our Bee will definitely be working toward donating another 12 quilts next year.
No comments:
Post a Comment