I'm not much of a book critic. As with music I know what I like when I hear it, and books, I know what I like when I read it.
Having said that though, the Aloha Quilt has really inspired me to (enthusiatically) get back to quilting. I've been kind of dragging along, not getting a lot accomplished lately.
The book takes place in Hawaii. And the main story is about a woman (an Elm Creek Quilter) who's getting a dovorce and needs to get away from an emotionally and sometimes physically abusive husband. She is invited by an old college friend to help start a quilt camp in Hawaii somewhat patterened after the Elm Creek Quilt Camp.
But the inspiring part is seeing Hawaii though this book. Wonderful descriptions of the islands, the foods, Hawaiian customs and of course Hawaiian style quilting. As many of you know I'm doing my own Hawaiian style quilt (done my way) and apparently in my time, as it's taking me way longer than forever to get it done. It was going to be our 25th anniversary quilt (also known as the Hibiscus Quilt), but we've been married 27 years now, so... see where I'm going with this.
Back to the book, I especially loved the descriptions of "The Queen's Quilt" and the story of Queen Lili'uokalani's imprisonment. A huge part of Hawaii's history. Chiaverini tells the story so well.
I don't love all of the Elm Creek Quilts books, but this is one not to be missed.
2 comments:
Lili'uokalani is really a very interesting person, even outside of any other story. She was the one who wrote the song "Aloha 'Oe", as well as a ton of other things. Sadly, I think much of her (and Hawaii's) downfall can be summed up as people having a fit because she wouldn't just sit down, shut up, and play by their rules. On the other hand, if she'd been inclined to do that, she never would have become a queen at all and history would have forgotten her.
When I think about the saying, "Well behaved women sledom make history," I think of her.
Post a Comment