Today is the one year anniversary of Hurricane Rita hitting the Texas Gulf Coast. One year ago tonight I was sitting in the dark with no running water and no A/C, even though I evacuated 2 1/2 hours north of Beaumont to Hemphill, Texas. It was hot and humid.
Tonight, one year later. Life is vastly different for most people. Not for others. I still have friends who are trying to get their homes and their lives back in order.
It's no coincidence that this weekend Joyce King's book, Forgotten Hurricane; Conversations With My Neighbors went on sale here in Beaumont at Barnes & Noble. Robby and I bought it tonight. I haven't read it yet, but from the excerpts I have read, everyone really needs to read it.
Joyce King is an amazing author. I have also read Hate Crime: The Story of a Dragging in Jasper, Texas and Growing Up Southern: White Men I Met Along the Way .
No comments:
Post a Comment